Job Seeking Tips OffersYOUR FEELINGS ABOUT AN OFFER
Feeling the Fear of Change – new people, new job, new community
Feelings of Loyalty
Feelings of Obligation

Remember…. feelings are normal and temporary, but may cause someone to look for reasons to justify turning down a good job. Realize what is in your long-term, best interest and evaluate the offer unemotionally.

EVALUATING THE OFFER
Do I like the Job?
Can I do the Job?
Are the resources I need to do the job there?
Are the Company and my new position stable?
Is the chemistry between me and my associates good?
Do I like the geographic area?
How will this move affect my family?
If this is a good job, call and accept the offer, set a date to start work, then send a confirmation letter.

YOUR RESIGNATION… REMEMBER THESE 3 THINGS
Write a letter of resignation
Ask for future references
Leave on a positive basis
THE COUNTER OFFER
No matter what kind of relationship you had with your boss before your resignation, some of the following thoughts are now going through his/her mind:

This couldn’t have happened at a worse time!
Boy, this will really screw up the vacation schedule.
I can’t lose one of my best people. It will destroy morale in the whole department.
I already have one opening in my department now.
I don’t need another one.
I don’t have time to interview, hire and train a new employee.
Before even contemplating that tempting counteroffer, consider the results of a study recently published in the Wall Street Journal. In this study conducted in a three-year period, over 5O% of the individuals receiving counteroffers after turning in their resignations accepted them. Within eighteen months, 93% of those accepting counteroffers had left, some voluntarily and some fired. All of the remaining 7% were actively seeking new employment.

POINTS TO PONDER ON COUNTER OFFERS
Any situation in which an employee is forced to get an outside offer before being offered a raise and/or promotion, is suspect.

No matter what a company says when making a counteroffer, the person who stays will always be questioned in terms of loyalty. He/she is no longer considered to be a team player and will usually be the first to go.

Counteroffers are nothing more than stall devices to give the employer time to find a suitable replacement.

Decent companies don’t make counteroffers?ever! Their policies are fair, equitable, and clearly stated and implemented.
Employers hate to lose people this way because it’s bad for morale for someone to quit.

There’s never a good time for someone to quit. It makes them look bad. They might have to work a little harder.
Remember…bosses who make counteroffers say things like the following:

This raise was supposed to go into effect next quarter but we’ll start it the first of the month instead. I’ve been meaning to tell you about our plans for expansion, (which, of course, include you), but it’s been confidential and I couldn’t tell you before now. I’m really shocked! I thought you were as happy with us as we are with you. Let’s discuss it before you make your final decision.

Counteroffers are made only because someone plans to quit. Will a person have to solicit another offer and quit every time he/she wants a raise or a promotion?